Addysg Oedolion Cymru | Adult Learning Wales came into being following our re-naming from the former WEA YMCA CC Cymru on 5th November 2016.
The organisation comes as a result of mergers between Coleg Harlech and WEA North Wales with WEA South Wales to form WEA Cymru, and the subsequent merger between WEA Cymru and YMCA Wales Community College.
We provide community education - including community development - and workplace education. We deliver this work through a local branch structure and partnership working with community and voluntary organisations, representative organisations in the workplace, and other providers, including the voluntary sector, local authorities, further education colleges, and universities.
We focus particularly on offering a wide provision of opportunity regardless of age, engaging with all communities, particularly those experiencing disadvantage, to meet their needs by negotiation.
Learners and branches continue to have a proper and unique role in developing and negotiating local provision and representing the organisation as a whole. For funding purposes Addysg Oedolion Cymru | Adult Learning Wales is a community-based Further Education Institution, where its main source of funding is from the Welsh Government's Skills, Higher Education and Lifelong Learning Section; to draw down this funding the organisation adheres to the Welsh Government's quality and audit requirements. In addition, a small proportion of our income comes from grant sources, contract work as well as voluntary members.
Improve the lives of adults with a focus on the most disadvantaged through the creation of relevant learning opportunities, delivered throughout every community in Wales.
To provide hope and foster ambition as the lead provider of community learning programmes, enabling all adults to achieve their potential.
To provide accessible learning opportunities for adults everywhere in Wales to develop as:
• Ambitious and informed learners, ready to learn throughout their lives and to play a full part in life and work, in Wales and the world
• Healthy and confident individuals, ready to lead fulfilling lives as valued citizens of society.
Our Core Priorities:
• Ensure highest standards of quality are achieved and maintained in everything we do
• Provide a clear and varied bilingual curriculum that supports equity, equality and social justice with pathways for progression for all adults wherever they are based in Wales
• Encourage creative and innovative teaching and learning to maximise engagement, progression, confidence and social values
• Be a great place to work as an employer of choice
• Ensure financial sustainability in all our activities.